KIBALE FOREST NATIONAL PARK (primate capital of the world)
The best place for chimpanzee tracking in Uganda and east Africa is kibale forest national park blossoms in the western part of Uganda. It is referred to as the primate capital of the world the best place to trek chimpanzee in east Africa. Kibale national is not only aroma to 1500 chimpanzees but also harbor 324 species of birds identified 250 species of trees and shrubs identified 144 species of butterflies identified, and other identified numbers of 12 primates’ species.
Kibale national park covers 766 square kilometers and protecting moist evergreen rainforest in Uganda and east Africa, (296 square miles) in size located between 1,100 meters (3,600 ft) to 1,600 meters (5,200 ft) in elevation.
How to get kibale national park
Kibale national park is located in western part of Uganda in districts of Kabarole, Kamwenge, Kyenjonjo and Fort Portal tourism city it is accessible from kampala/Entebbe from north route through Mityana, Mubende ,Kyegegwa, Kyenjonjo district road and you can also use Kampala Masaka, Mbarara Ibanda Kamwenge then to Kanyanchu visitation centre of kibale national park where most activities are done like chimp trekking, chimp habituation experience, primate walk and community swamp walk along Bigodi wetland sanctuary for primates and home of Great Blue Turacco bird species.
Uganda chimpanzee experience travelers mostly use the northern route saying it is shorter and faster with the distance 358km with tarmac road unto kibale national park boss Kanyawara head office of kibale national park and Kanyanchu visitation point of kibale forest.
Kibale forest national has the highest number of primates in Uganda, east Africa and Africa with 13 species of primates identified are chimpanzees, the closest relative of human being sharing 98.7% genetic material. Kibale has 1500chimpanzee which proves Uganda’s biggest number of this endangered species. Kibale is also to home of rare I’Hoest’s monkey as well as east Africa biggest population of endangered red colobus monkey, red tailed monkey, blue monkey, grey cheeked mangabey, olive baboon, bush baby among others with some good number of mammals like forest buffaloes, forest elephants, bush pig, and many others like reptiles and amphibians
You can book your trip tom kibale national with trustfully company to organize or plan for are 3days chimpanzee trekking , 6 days chimpanzee trekking , and 10 days chimpanzee safari to Uganda.
Travelers can also choose to fly from Kajansi airfield or Entebbe airport. It is the internal flight with aero link and it takes 45-50minutes to Kasese air trip in Nyankasanga and from their you can be picked up driven to kibale national by road from to kibale national park. You can book yourself 3 days fly to kibale national park according to the time you have for your vacation to spend on your chimpanzee experience
How to book trip to kibale national park for your best chimpanzee experience in east Africa and Uganda
You will contact trusted tour operator/company (www.maatafrikasafaris.com) operating safaris in Uganda who will give safari you the plan on how to carry out chimpanzee and give you the budget and the requirements of the trip including trekking permits booked from Uganda wildlife authority by recognized tour company and the after your confirmation of the trip and agreed budget, the tour operator will contact and book your permit from Uganda wildlife authority which will be given to you on your day of chimpanzee trekking or habituation experience before the briefing by the ranger guides who will lead you the forest.
Permit is the document that allows visitors to access the national park for activities like chimpanzee trekking, chimpanzee habituation requires trekking permits to enter the forest for the mentioned activities.
- The first thing you should remember about chimpanzee is that they are not like monkeys. They are apes like Gorillas, Orangutans and of course humans and in fact they share genetically and are closest living relatives on earth sharing more than 98.7% of genetic material , “blueprint”. This means that less than 2% of our DNA is different from chimpanzees.
- Although chimps are our closest relatives, their brains have measured at around 282 to 500cc and human brains are appromixamately three times that size , so we are still well are head of them in that area at least so Far.
- The chimpanzee was the first non-non-human to learn American sign language
- In 2008, a chimpanzee named Anjana adopted and raised two babies of white tigers named Mitra and Shiva after hurricane
- Elephants and chimpanzee have ability to display behaviors patterns similar to post- traumatic stress disorder and depression.
- Humans have the same number of hair follicles as chimpanzees have.
- Chimpanzees can identify each other from pictures of their butts.
- In 1954, Congo was the chimpanzee who learned how to draw and paint, Congo was famous abstract painter whose painting were sold to piscasso, Dali among others for up to USD=26,000/=
- Chimps use medicinal plants to treat themselves for illness and injury.
- United states and Gabon are the only two countries that allow experimentation on chimpanzees
- Chimpanzees fart so loudly and frequently that scientist locates them in forest occasional by following fart.
- Comparative analysis indicated that chimpanzee and bonobos show population level right handedness, whereas gorilla and orangutans do not.
- While chimps consume a wide variety of foods, including the fruits and leaves of hundreds of plants, they prefer fruits of fig or ficus trees. They also eat meat; their favorite is red-colobus monkey and invertebrates such as termites. This only makes an estimated of 2% of their diet.
- Chimpanzee has thickets body with long arms, short legs and no tail. Much of the body is covered with long black hair, but the face ears, fingers and toes are bare. They also hands that can grip fairly, allowing them to pick objects, the discovery that they use tools for certain purposes surprised the world.
- Chimpanzee are mainly found in green rainforest like kibale national park in Uganda wet savannah while they spend equal time on land and in trees, they do most of their feeding and sleeping up in trees.
- Chimps are one of the animals that are known to make and use tools, they have been observed stripping the leaves off twig and then dip it into termite nest to catch insects and chewing the end of stick to make of more water absorbent so that it can be used as a “dipping stick”
- Chimps can very aggressive, groups of males will plan and execute attacks on another chimp often causing injuries and fatalities, serious fatal attack on humans have also been reported.
- Chimpanzees are one of the only two species in the genus pan, their other being bonobo and both are found in sub Saharan Africa. It was taught that chimpanzee and bonobos were one species but they are now recognized as two distinct species , the chimpanzee( pan troglodytes) is found north of Congo river and splint into 4 sub species, the bonobo (pan paniscus) is found south of the Congo river and has not been splint into any sub species .
- Fifty years ago, there were probably million chimpanzees in Africa. Today chimpanzee is an endangered species with as few as 170,000 left in the world.
- Chimpanzee can live for more than 50 years, this is another reason why chimps are purchased as pets often end up in sanctuaries
- Chimps change their bedding every day by making new nests every aevening before in new places up in trees
- Chimps live in communal basis and each community has culture and way of life. More excitingly each community has a leader which chooses amongst them.
Activities in kibale forest that you can do your chimpanzee experience in Uganda or east Africa
Kibale forest national park is the best place for chimpanzee trekking in Uganda, east Africa and Africa where you are given 100% of meeting the closest of human being chimps in its natural habitat that will reward you with unforgettable and ultimate experience
Kibale is referred to as the” primate capital of the world” and its popular known for habituated chimpanzee in the world read for tracking
This excursion is quiet adventure that only keeps the adrenaline pumping but pleasant the challenges in terrain with obstacles to encounter with the chimpanzees in their natural environment within the tropical rain forest of kibale national park
While on your guided nature walk in the tropical rain forest in search of chimps, red-tailed monkeys, black and white colobus monkeys, baboons, bush baby and many others are seen while caring out trekking
Kanyantere community group has 120 individuals and its 30 years old and always ready for travelers for chimpanzee trekking in kibale forest and it is the first to group that was introduced in kibale forest national 30 years back for tourism
Chimpanzee habituation experience in kibale forest national park
Chimpanzee habituation experience is the one of the exciting activities within kibale forest national park. Here you will learn the lifestyles and behaviors of chimpanzee the closest relative of human of being sharing 98.7 genetic material, you spend full day walking through the forest, and the ranger guides will educate you the life and behaviors of chimps and also learn the flora and fauna in the park.
You will witness how chimps de- nest their nocturnal nest(something they do each morning), feed, groom the young, play and construct nest in the evening etc. there are 13 species of primates including Black and White Colubus monkeys, red colobus monkeys, L’Hoests monkeys, Baboons, Bush Baby and abundant chimpanzee. While over 325 avian species are recorded in kibale 144 species of butterflies and many more.
Chimpanzee starts early morning at 6:00am and end 7:00am in kibale while learning with kisongi community group with of 180 individuals and it is was established in 2018 for habituation experience and its now for travelers that are ready for habituation experience in kibale forest national park and many other groups are still under habituation but still wild like burange community group soon to be introduced for tourism and habituation experience.
Bigodi swamp walks for primate watching, birding and then community visit
Bigodi swamp is the community based organized that was started by organized group of few individuals 20 years with the aim of promoting tourism in the community. The sanctuary offers great birding opportunities and nature walks while learning identifying and viewing different birds and primates and then after swamp you can participate in the village walk to Bigodi community you have chanced to mix with the African traditions in terms of life styles and entertainment with their cultural dances and learning their culture heritages and customs.
Here it will make of your 3 days chimpanzee experience in kibale forest national park